Symyx (acquired by Accelrys in 2010) developed the field of combinatorial materials science (CMS). CMS was commercialized via materials R&D services and associated R&D hardware and software products. Bighorn engaged with Symyx to evaluate extending its R&D alliances outside of the energy (refinery & fuel cell) catalyst business into areas such as electronic, orthopedic and clean-tech materials. Bighorn researched the market and identified ~60 Global 1000 alliance targets and engaged a large number of these targets. While interest in R&D alliances was found, it was evident that a sustainable business fitting the Symyx business model did not exist.
Engagement : Interim Executive (W2)
- Researched and sized the collaborative R&D services market for electronic, orthopedic and clean-tech materials
- Supported the market assessment and business planning for an oil viscosity sensor business which led to the spin off of Visyx .
Product Strategy & Market Entry
- Pursued collaborative research & strategic alliances with a targeted set of Global 1000 R&D organizations.
- Developed ROI model for collaborative research services in the orthopedic materials based on market share movements.
- Evaluated nanotechnology materials acquisitions and venture investments